Reduce Surface Geometry Degradation With Neoloy® Tough-Cells
The lateral spreading of unconfined ballast under heavy dynamic loading causes settlement and is a key reason for track maintenance.
Unconfined ballast subject to heavy and frequent loading (particularly over soft subgrade) disperses laterally, resulting in settlement is a main reason for track maintenance. Attrition from the relative movement of ballast particles under high cyclical loading from rolling stock is the major cause of ballast degradation, along with ballast abrasion and breakage. The result is frequent tamping cycles.
Neoloy cellular confinement installed at the ballast/subgrade interface can reduce surface geometry degradation. The stiff confinement provided by Neoloy Tough-Cells minimizes the relative movement of particles, prevents aggregate abrasion and attrition, and reduces lateral and vertical deformation in the track support structure. Ballast confinement increases its stiffness while restraining lateral movement. This prevents shearing of aggregate under loading. The ballast (and cell walls) is additionally strengthened by the cell wall hoop stresses and by passive resistance from surrounding cells.
- Confinement reduces ballast displacement and settlement.
- Decrease breakage of particles and abrasion.
- Reduce attrition from relative movement under cyclical loading.
- Neoloy strength – high stiffness, dimensional stability and low creep under loading preserve track geometry.
- More effective than geogrids – does not require high grade aggregate and has 3D zone of influence.
- Easy and fast deployment – all-weather, easy and fast installation minimizes downtime.
- Improved track performance – reduce vibrations, track deflection, and smooth transitions between differing subgrades.
- Improved rolling stock performance – up to 40% heavier loads and 30% faster speeds over the same track.
- Operating expenses – stabilized trackbed reduces vibration and wear & tear on rolling stock (& aggregate).
- Sustainable – use of marginal infill preserves quarry resources, uses local soils, lowers hauling expenses.
- Reduce maintenance – extend surfacing cycles.
- Cost effective installation – saves construction time, equipment and aggregate.
- Low total cost of ownership – Neoloy durability that extends track maintenance periods by >3x (perpetual superstructure).