Neoloy® Tough-Cells Maintain Performance for Pavement Lifespan
Although the runners in a marathon start together, their performances differ as the race goes on. The same is true for Tough-Cells.
Tough-Cells must retain their performance over time, e.g., maintain their 3D geometry (dimensional stability) for the reinforcement mechanisms (wall stiffness, beam effect and elastic modulus) to function. Any increase in geocell geometry will result in a chain reaction in the structure – loss of confinement, settlements, lower compaction, less design strength, fatigue and possible pavement failure.
The advanced NPA – Novel Polymeric Alloy provides the Neoloy Tough-Cells with an optimal combination of strength, stiffness and durability. Neoloy maintains its stiffness and geometry for the geotechnical project lifespan under dynamic loading, thermal cycling and high temperatures. Pavement layers reinforced and subgrade stabilized with Neoloy Tough-Cells improve bearing capacity and maintain confinement over the entire the pavement service life.
The result is significantly less road repairs and rehabilitation – achieved with the use of less materials and resources – making road construction more sustainable and more economical. The end result is lower construction costs and a fast return on investment.
High modulus Neoloy Tough-Cells have been calibrated for use with today’s mechanistic-empirical models (MEPDG) for road design (e.g., AASHTO Roadside Design Guide). Neoloy’s long-term strength makes it a “perpetual geocell”, suitable for the support layers of perpetual pavements and perpetual railway substructures.
- Stiff and Strong – high tensile strength (22 MPa) prevents rutting , fatigue
- Confinement – increases pavement layer strength (modulus) regardless of bearing capacity (CBR)
- Reinforcement – reduces layer thickness and wearing course by up to 70%
- Beam effect – improves load transfer and bearing capacity by up to 50%
- Improves elastic modulus – by factor of 2-5 for heavier traffic and longer pavement lifespan
- Simple logistics – and fast all-weather installation
- Lower costs – of infill, compaction, construction
- Reduce maintenance – repairs, maintenance cycles and downtime
- Extended lifespan – lowers life cycle costs and suitable for perpetual pavements
- Lower grade infill – Use locally available, ungraded or recycled materials for infill
- Reduce pollution – quarrying, hauling, fuel, pollution, carbon footprint
- Green – sustainable construction method
- Patented technology – validated high stiffness, creep resistance, tensile strength
- Durable – proven long-term performance under heavy dynamic loading
- Advanced engineering – suitable for perpetual pavements
- High performance– outperforms any other HDPE Soft-Cell