Strong Soil Reinforcement on Soft Subgrade for port and container yard platforms
Create strong working platforms with Neoloy® Tough-Cells soil stabilization for heavy-duty pavements on soft foundation soils
The Challenge for Working Platforms
Working Platforms are vital for construction and heavy-duty use pavements on weak soils. Site conditions may require prior improvement of the bearing capacity for the heavy construction equipment; while port and container yard platforms are often built on marginal land, requiring substantial soil stabilization and thick pavement layers and good drainage.
The Neoloy Soil Stabilization Solution for Platforms
PRS Neoloy® Tough-Cells are more effective and economical solutions for working platforms than other conventional stabilization methods One of more layers of Neoloy Tough-Cells filled with granular material creates a semi-rigid, ground foundation mattress that:
- Increases soil bearing capacity
- Minimizes settlements and lateral spread
- Acts as drainage system to accelerate consolidation
The Neoloy Tough-Cells solution is to construct a raft foundation/ mattresses from one or more tough-cell geocell layers infilled with granular material. The semi-rigid layer creates a working platform enabling construction equipment to move on solid ground by effectively increasing the modulus of the soft soil. In addition, the stiff Neoloy working platform increases the reinforcement factor of Neoloy Tough-Cells used in the upper structural layers.
Neoloy® Tough-Cells act as a 3D mechanical stabilizer that retains confinement, due to their high tensile strength and high Neoloy stiffness, which guarantees low permanent deformation. Neoloy Tough-Cell soil layers acts as a stiff mattress or slab to distribute the vertical traffic load over a wider area of the subgrade. As a result, the vertical stresses applied on the subgrade are reduced and the bearing capacity is increased.
Types of Working Platforms:
- Intermodal ports
- Container yards
- Logging yards
- Load Transfer Platforms
- Equipment yards
- Oil drilling pads
- Crane pads
Click here to see case studies in Canadian Oil Sands and Israel Shipyards
- Distributed lateral stress increases shear strength of confined soil, creating stiff mattress
- Low lateral deformation due to high hoop strength of Neoloy Tough-Cells
- Friction resistance lowers stress reaching subgrade
- Improves bearing capacity
- Excellent drainage – can be used in saturated environment
- Improves performance of Neoloy Tough-Cells in upper layers
- Fast and progressive construction
- Reduce aggregate expenditures and earthmoving
- Efficient for use with concrete infill
- Eliminates expensive and time consuming soil replacement
- Lowers project carbon footprint
- Reduces embankment layer thickness to save aggregate
Site conditions may require prior improvement of the bearing capacity for the heavy construction equipment. The Neoloy Tough-Cells solution is to construct a raft foundation/ mattresses from one or more geocell layers infilled with granular material. The rigid layer creates a working platform enabling construction equipment to move on solid ground by effectively increasing the modulus of the soft soil. This greatly simplifies the embankment construction process as it is erected and progressively filed in-situ with granular material that forms a rigid platform for working.