Neoloy® Geocell is a reliable, long-term solution for reinforcing earth retention walls
Neoloy® Geocells offer strong, durable & green earth retention walls built with ease, speed, & flexibility.
|Gravity Retaining Walls
Steep retaining walls for erosion control, structurally stable under self-weight and external loads
Mechanically stabilized earth with horizontal geogrid reinforcement for high and strong segmental retaining walls
|Integrated Earth Stabilization
Combinations of Neoloy Geocell retaining walls and back slope cover protection system
What is a Retaining Wall
Retaining walls are engineered structures that restrain soil at two different elevations. They are used in sites with sharp grade changes, irregular topography, or that lack land. Retaining walls must restrain the soil mass (lateral forces), reinforce unstable slopes (global stability) and provide drainage (prevent hydrostatic forces). Earth retention walls may be reinforced, gravity or composite systems – see Types of Neoloy Geocell Retaining Walls
Neoloy Geocells are an ideal solution for earth retention. Neoloy Geocell walls are easier to construct, use locally available (low quality) soil for backfill, create a green face and are more economical than conventional earth retention walls, such as cantilevered concrete, gabions, segmental retaining walls (SRW) and other mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) solutions – see Types of Conventional Retaining Walls – Comparison.
Why Neoloy Geocells
Neoloy Geocells are the only geocells with the high resistance to creep, long-term tensile strength, and environmental durability to guarantee reliable performance over the project lifespan under load. Neoloy retaining walls provide steep vertical earth retention (up to 81°) structurally stable under self- weight and externally imposed loads.
Gravity and reinforced walls erected with Neoloy Geocell system layers maintain structural stability, even in compressible and unstable foundation subgrades. No subgrade replacement is required. Neoloy retaining walls can be erected quickly – and are especially well suited to construction in areas in which access for heavy equipment is limited.
- Neoloy offers very long-term stiffness and strength.
- Neoloy and backfill form a composite structure that behaves as a monolithic mass, even in soft foundation soils.
- Neoloy Geocells absorb energy making it highly resistant to seismic activity.
- Construction without forms or curing is faster than poured concrete.
- Each layer is structurally sound as laid, without support, scaffolding or cranes.
- Neoloy can use local soil for infill, eliminating the need for expensive aggregate.
- Cost effective particular when compared to stone and concrete solutions
- Low installation cost and Total Cost of Ownership
- Green wall with vegetated fascia on the outer rows for a soft, green and aesthetic retention solution.
- Non-degradable Neoloy polymer is resistant to weathering, extreme temperatures and water.
- Permeability of Neoloy wall perforations facilitates onsite drainage and stormwater management.
- High dimensional stability – low creep (even under high temperatures), high resistance to thermal cycling
- High resistance to photochemical degradation – leaching of additives, oxidation and UV light
The Neoloy Advantage for Retention Walls
While most commercially available geocells in Canada are made of HDPE, PRS has developed a completely new material based on a new patented polymeric alloy, called Neoloy®
Neoloy is characterized by flexibility similar to HDPE with elastic behavior similar to engineering thermoplastic. Major documented improvements over old generation HDPE geocells are better creep resistance and better retention of stiffness and creep resistance at elevated temperatures and over the long-term.
The engineering advantages of Neoloy over HDPE-based geocells can be measured by accepted testing procedures and verifiable scientific testing methods. Numerous studies, field trials and laboratory tests have demonstrated improved performance in load support applications due to the improved stiffness and strength provided by Neoloy.
Types of Conventional Retaining Walls – Comparison with Neoloy
Although there are many types of walls, earth retention structures made from Neoloy® Geocells offer stronger, more durable, green and economical solutions for steep and unstable slopes:
Segmental Retaining Walls
Gabions and Other Stone Walls
Types of Neoloy Geocell Retaining Walls
Transportation and Construction
Environmental / Rehabilitation
Channels and Coastlines
Integrated Earth Stabilization